Chocolate Caramel Candy Apples!
- 5 large Granny Smith apples
- 1 package individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 12 ounces good chocolate for melting
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Toppings for sprinkling, dipping, drizzling
- Wooden Skewers
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Dip apples into boiling water briefly, using a slotted spoon, to remove any wax that may be present. Wipe dry, and set aside to cool. Insert sticks into the apples through the cores.
- Line baking sheet with wax paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Place the unwrapped caramels into a microwave-safe medium bowl along with 2 tablespoons of water. Cook on high for 2 minutes, then stir and continue cooking and stirring at 1 minute intervals until caramel is melted and smooth.
- Dip apples into the caramel to coat. Set on waxed paper; refrigerate for about 15 minutes to set.
- Heat the chocolate with 1 tablespoon of shortening in a microwave-safe bowl until melted and smooth. Dip apples into the chocolate to cover the layer of caramel. Return to the waxed paper to set.